At the far end of the South End and just below an overpass awaits a pocket of public art you might not yet be aware of. Happening upon it the Underground at Ink Block feels like kind of a creative oasis and at just under a mile, with benches and tables as well as being close to places you can find good take out AND being surrounded by amazing art, it kind of is.
Showcasing 24 different installations Underground at Ink Block was created in 2017 and features work that was installed in three different periods, first in 2017, then in 2019 and most recently in 2020. The art which was produced by an incredible group of national and international artists was produced in partnership with Reebok, and National Development, and was curated by Street Theory, a local creative agency. It represents an ambitious and engaging avenue for people looking to experience art that is contemporary, evocative and en plain air.
This Art Walk includes the art work in the Underground at Ink Block as well as a few additional pieces including the iconic “Wales” mural that used to be visible from the highway.
Getting there was a lot easier than I thought it would be. This Art Walk is easy to access on public transportation. It is a 1/4 mile walk on foot over the James Kelly Bridge from the Broadway T Station on the Red Line, and about one mile from the Back Bay T station on the Orange line (please use a Map App if you are not familiar with the area, the street address is 90 Traveler Street). Walking from the Broadway T Station you can see the artwork from the bridge as you walk over it, Walking from Back Bay it is behind the Ink Block Building. As a side note this is also about a five minute walk from the SoWa Open Market (open May-October). Please keep in mind that this a traffic heavy area and some of the art is in a parking lot so you need be careful as your visit.
Please keep in mind as you tour that the city is a busy place with people from all walks. It is up to you to be careful as you walk around. Please respect the neighborhood(s) and the people who live and work there, and have a safe visit.
Download map & list of art work
DISCLAIMER I have taken every effort to provide the most accurate information in the content of this website site. You travel at your own risk so travel smart and travel safe. I am not liable for any losses or damage arising from the use of the information on this website nor can I be held responsible for any unforeseen situations that may arise while you are using the information provided. I in no way condone trespassing or the destruction of public or private property. I reserve the right to change and/or update the information as needed. Any and all content included on this site is subject to copyright including written copy, images, graphics and maps.
ART WALK STATS
Map Updated on March 30, 2022
Total Distance: 1 Miles/ 1.6 kilometers
Estimated Time: 30 min – 1hr. Depending on your pace.
Neighborhood: South Boston
Closest Subway: Broadway Station, Red Line (1/4 of a mile from Broadway Station. Walk over the James M. Kelly Bridge)
Street Address: 90 Traveler Street
Food: If you are looking for ideas I recommend checking out Boston Eater.
THIS MAP IS NOT FOR DRIVING. If you are unfamiliar with the neighborhood I recommend you also employ a map app.
ART WORK LIST
Instagram handles and website included where available
- “Sacred Journey” @gofive (2019) (two sides of the container)
- “For Giving, For Getting” @matthewzaremba (2019) matthewzaremba.com
- “untitled” @Marka_27 (2019) marka27.com (on column)
- “untitled” @hoxxoh (2017) elhoxxoh.com
- “untitled” @murOne (2017) murone.net
- “untitled” @percyfortiniwright (2017) percyfortiniwright.com
- “Be More Human” by @ewokmskhm (2017)
- “Be More Human” @upendo_ (2017) upendoart.com
- “Untitled” @silvialopezchavez (2019) silvialopezchavez.com (two pillars and above)
- “Untitled” @upendo_ (2017) upendoart.com. (On ground)
- “Untitled” @rastagrandpa (2021) rastagrandpa.com
- “Nevertheless” by @thydoan (2017) http://www.thydoan.com
- “Untitled” @problak (2017) problak.com
- “Untitled” @Marka_27 (2017) marka27.com
- “Untitled” @domrimx (2017) donrimx.com
- “Love” by @officialceyadams (2017) ceyadams.com
- “Untitled” @danawoulfe (2019) danawoulfe.com
- “Surya” @imagine876 (2017) imagine876.com
- “No Weapon Formed Against Thee Shall Prosper” by @officialceyadams @iamwetpaint @marka_27 @problak and robstull (robstull.com) (2020) moved from MFA.
- “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” by @problak @Marka_27 (2020)
- “Untitled” by Greg Lamarche @gregbfb (2019)
- “Untitled” @vyalone (2017) street-theory/vyalone
- “Untitled” @indie184 (2017 indie184.com (two pillars)
- “Underground at Inkblock” by @steezmagazine (2017)
- “Whales” by Ron Deziel, (1998). On the side of Planet Storage
- “Whales 2” by Tyson Andree (2015), On Traveler Street side of Planet Storage.
Photos are in approximate order
The South Boston Art Walk Feat. Ink Block Underground map and tour is part of The Art Walk Project © Julia Swanson, 2022. To learn more about it and see other Art Walks please visit my website jscreatesonline.com.